Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


Sunset of the Licensing Program (NEW!)​

On April 10, 2018, the Senate Committee on Finance of the Colorado General Assembly voted to postpone indefinitely HB18-1175 (the Bill Concerning the Continuation of the Community Association Manager Program under the Sunset law). The effect of this vote means that the legislature will not continue the Community Association Manager (CAM) Program and will allow it to sunset.

Since this program was not extended by the legislature, it then goes through a “wind-up” procedure. This means that the program continues in existence until the date that is one (1) year after the specified repeal date (July 1, 2018) for the purpose of winding up affairs for the program. The ending date of the program is ​July 1, 2019. On that date, the Division will then cease all activities with regard to the CAM program.

CAMs must remain licensed, new CAMs must become licensed, through July 1, 2019 (NEW!)​
CAM licensees still need to hold a license, renew one’s license, maintain one’s continuing education, maintain E&O and Fidelity insurance, and comply with all Division requests, complaints and investigations while the CAM program continues in operation until July 1, 2019.​

New CAMs, or CAMs looking to upgrade to a Designated Manager, or begin and operate a CAM entity, will still have to go through the licensing process until July 1, 2019, since the program will still be in operation until that time.

If one does not renew their CAM license or CAM entity license by the upcoming license renewal deadline of July 1, 2018, one cannot operate as a CAM or CAM entity in the State of Colorado. Also, anyone practicing community association management without the required license can be subject to a Cease & Desist Order, and additional penalties as may be determined by the State. Until July 1, 2019, the Division of Real Estate has jurisdiction and authority to regulate and discipline CAM licensees.​

Who (still) ​needs to be licensed?

Any person and or entity that performs a community association management service (listed below) to any form of common interest community for any form of compensation must be licensed. 

If you are not provided compensation to provide management services for your association, then you do not need to hold a license. Additionally, "community association management" does not mean the performance of any clerical, ministerial, accounting, or maintenance function. Employees who work for a management company working under a licensed manager, individual contractors, or employees of a common interest community that perform clerical, ministerial accounting or maintenance function do not need to be licensed.

Community association management practices are defined as:

  • In interactions with members or nonmembers of the common interest community, acting with the authority of the common interest community with respect to its business, legal, financial or other transactions
  • Executing the resolutions and decisions of the executive board
  • Enforcing the rights of the common interest community secured by statute, contract, covenant, rule, or bylaw
  • Administering or coordinating maintenance of property and facilities of the common interest community
  • Administering applications for architectural review
  • Arranging conducting or coordinating meetings of the common interest community's membership or executive board
  • Maintaining the common interest community's records pursuant to its governing documents and applicable provisions of the CCIOA
  • Administering, or otherwise exercising control of a common interest community's funds, including the administration of a reserve program for the major repair or replacement of capital assets

How do I become licensed? 

In order to be licensed you must complete the following:

  • Obtain or perform one of the following:
  • Pass the examination (Register Here). There are two parts to the examination, a general portion and a Colorado law portion.  Managers having an active CMCA, AMS, or PCAM need only to take and pass the state law exam. Applicants for the exam must hold a CMCA, AMS, or PCAM, or have completed the DRE-approved 24-hour qualifying course.
  • Submit a set of fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation for the purpose of conducting a fingerprint-based criminal history record check.
  • Complete the Division created application for licensure (Application Here). The completed application/form must be accompanied by the associated fee via U.S. Mail to the: Division of Real Estate, 1560 Broadway, Suite 925, Denver, CO 80202. Payment must be made via check or money order, and made out to "DORA". Walk-in submissions may be delivered to the Division, Monday through Friday, from 8am to 5pm. 
  • You must also:
    • Be 18 years of age or older; and
    • Have earned a high school diploma or GED

What are the fees? 

The cost is​ $205 for individuals and $175 for entities. Fees for entities are one-time only. Licensing will run on an annual basis, from July 1-June 30.

The cost of the examination is $90, which includes both parts, and retakes cost $85.

What if I am interested in becoming a licensed community association manager but have no experience?

You may obtain an apprentice license. Those interested in becoming a licensed community association manager may first become licensed as an "apprentice" in order to gain experience in the field. Law defines "apprentice" as a person who:

  • Has not completed the education and examination requirements for obtaining a community association manager license
  • Is under the control and direct supervision of a licensed community association manager
  • Is licensed with the director for purposes of learning and performing any practices that require a community association manager license

What are the continuing education requirements?

Licensees need to complete eight (8) hours of continuing education or pass the Colorado law portion of the CAM examination. Credit for continuing education courses must be acquired through successful completion in one or more of the following subjects:

  • Legal Documents of a Common Interest Community
  • Colorado Common Interest Ownership Act
  • Colorado and Federal Fair Housing Law
  • Colorado Nonprofit and Corporations Acts     
  • Roles and Responsibilities of Managers, Owners, Committees and the Executive Board of a Common Interest Community
  • Management and Ethics for Professional Community Association Managers
  • Developing and Enforcing Common Interest Community Rules
  • Manager’s Role in Organizing, Assisting and Conducting Board Meetings
  • Preparing Budgets and Funding Reserves
  • Assessment Collection Policies and Procedures
  • Remedies Available for Collecting Delinquent Payments from Owners in a Common Interest Community
  • Overview of Financial Statements, Reporting Methods and Operations
  • Effective Risk Management and Insurance Programs
  • Implementing and Evaluating Maintenance Programs
  • How to Prepare a Bid Request and Key Contract Provisions
  • Basic Areas of Employment Addressed by Federal, State and Local Law
  • Any other Subject Matter Approved by the Director

What are the regulations? 

The DRE is charged by law to further shape the way the practice of community association management is regulated. The Rules may be found by clicking here.

How do I find out who is licensed? 

Click here to view the list.

Licensing History
In 2013, the Colorado General Assembly enacted HB 13-1277, which requires community association managers and executives of management companies who directly supervise managers to be licensed by the Division of Real Estate (DRE). In 2015, the General Assembly enacted HB 15-1343-an act that streamlined the process of licensure of community association managers. HB 15-1343 became effective May 20. CAI supported these pieces of legislation and is your one-stop resource for information you need to comply with the requirements.

Answers to Other Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find a list of answers to frequently asked questions about the licensure of community association managers and firms in Colorado. Click on the question to read the answer.​​

​ ​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​
expand Question : How do I earn a CMCA?   ‎(1)
expand Question : How do I take the M-100 Course?  ‎(1)
expand Question : How do I undergo the criminal history background check?  ‎(1)
expand Question : What about my firm?  ‎(1)
expand Question : What acts are Community Association Managers prohibited from performing?  ‎(1)
expand Question : What if I am licensed in another state? ‎(1)
expand Question : What is the Colorado HOA Information and Resource Center? ‎(1)
expand Question : Who oversees the Community Association Manager License?  ‎(1)
© 2019-2020 Community Associations Institute